Sunday, June 28, 2009

My first sew

My lovely Michael bought me a sewing for my birthday a few weeks ago and I finally got a chance to use it this weekend!

I went to Mitchell Fabrics and picked up a few basic supplies and some fabric. Mitchell Fabrics is a huge fabric store in downtown Winnipeg. There are some good fabrics, but there's a LOT of tacky fabrics as well. But if you're willing to sift through hundreds, you might find what you're looking for!

Anyways, I picked up some fabric - two Amy Butler prints and two solids, with the plan of recovering some pillows. I am a pillow addict and have collected a lot throughout the years, but some of them had pretty awful patterns.

(Michael will make fun of my Christmas woolies.)




It's been nine years since I last touched a sewing machine in home ec class, so I read through the manual to re-learn how to load up a bobbin and how to thread the machine.




The color palette for my pillows (and living room - new Ikea furniture arrives in 9 days!!) comes from my grandma's vintage lamp she gave me (with a new shade from Ikea). I'm really loving the mellow greys and whites with a cheery yellow.




The larger pillow in the back is my shoddiest work - I had to work really hard to mush the pillow in to fit the amount of fabric I had, and I didn't have enough fabric to make a nice cover that's removable, so I sewed it completely shut. I still think it looks pretty good!




The grey pillow is my favorite and took me the longest to make. But I love the details on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment