Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Genius That is Frank Gehry

While I was in Seattle last month, I got my first experience of Frank Gehry's architecture in person. Excuse my excitement as I post a lot of pictures.

Gehry, a Canadian-born architect now living in LA, studied at Los Angeles City College, University of Southern California's School of Architecture, and topped off his education by dropping out of Harvard's City Planning program.


I'm a huge architecture nerd, so I was so excited to visit the Experience Music Project. The building was completed in 2000 and is home to many exhibitions about Seattle's music scene, as well as music from all over the world.



As soon as the EMP was in sight as we walked there from our hotel, I couldn't contain my excitement. This building did not disappoint!






It's truly a work of art, combining organic shapes with metallic and glossy materials in baby blue, copper, red and pinks.



It's curves were so gorgeous, and I love how the public transit train runs right through the building.


In one end....



... and out the other.


(Is this a sphynx? Intentional or not?)



The interior of the building is nearly as impressive. It's a seemingly endless interior of curves, halls, metals, and shapes, all accented with bright colors.


The tourist picture, complete with the Space Needle in the EMP's reflection. I look cool and collected here, but I was dying on the inside.

I think I spent more time gawking at the architecture than I did at the exhibits inside the museum (a common criticism of Gehry's work).


The EMP is just one of Gehry's works, though one of his more famous.



Among his other notable pieces is Hotel Marqués De Riscal in Alava, Spain.


The hotel is built into the Spanish country, and is almost like a ribbon on the side of a hill.


Another notable piece is the Disney Concert Hall in LA, completed in 2003.



Another Gehry building I hope to visit one day is the Weisman Art Museum at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.


No comments:

Post a Comment