Sunday, January 25, 2009

DIY Projects

I love doing DIY projects! I love making things myself, exactly how I want them. I love putting time in and having a final result. I'm always so proud when I finish a project! It's very rewarding.

Yesterday I did a project. I made myself a upholstered headboard.



Here's a picture of the finished product, taking by my iMac. It's purple velvet, but it looks darker in this picture than it actually is.

This is a super easy project, and you don't even need any fancy tools for it other than a staple gun. I followed the directions on bejane's website. Pretty much all you have to do is sandwich fabric, batting, foam, and plywood, and then staple the fabric to the plywood.

The trickiest part of the project was mounting it to the wall. I bought these little mounts from Home Depot. I have no idea what they're called, but they're essentially two parts, and one slides in to the other. One is mounted to the wall, and one is mounted to the headboard. My recommendation, is to screw in the wall mount first (I used two, one on either side), and then the ones on the headboard and make sure that the headboard mounts properly BEFORE you staple the fabric/batting/foam to the headboard. It's a lot easier to make sure a piece of plywood mounts properly than a full headboard.



Another project I hope to do is this mini desk.



The directions are here. This project is pretty simple, but it'll take an electric drill (a treasure which I have not yet gotten). I love this desk, but it's something that I'll probably only get to do when I have somewhere more permanent to live. Such as my own house. I think it would also be cool to do a mini version of this for a minimalist bedside table, or a shelf for keeping keys and such in the entrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment