Friday, August 14, 2009

Sewing again

A few weeks ago I braved a new world of sewing - clothing! Sewing clothes is a lot more noticable if you mess up than a pillowcase, so I was a bit nervous to try it out.

I found a really easy free "pattern" at this neat website called BurdaStyle where pretty much all you do is measure your waist, do some math about circles, and make a giant circle with a hole out of it in the middle the size of your waist and then sew on a waistband.


(excuse the crappy quality, they were taken with my iMac with the 3 second timer)



I'm really happy with the results. I changed up the "pattern" a little in that I made it shorter (the original pattern went just below the knee) and I didn't have the belt hardware they used in the waist, so I used a zipper and eyelet hook.



A minor problem I have with it is that any gust of wind makes it fly up. I heard that you can sew fishline into the hem to help weight it down, but at this point I'm fine with it as it is.

Having success with this has definitely made me more confident in sewing garments. Maybe I'll try a dress next if I can find a cute pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment