Sunday, September 20, 2009

Oh my love!

Michael and I were at a camera mini convention yesterday that was essentially a big garage sale of all things cameras. Lots of lenses, tripods, funny old cameras...

Now, I have to say that I have wanted a Polaroid camera for YEARS. Literally. Years. So when Michael spotted one across the aisle from where we were standing, I had to check it out.


It was beautiful.

I debated getting it, but when the man selling it said it was only $10, and in working condition (provided being able to find film), I couldn't say no.



There have been many models of Polaroid cameras over this years, but this is the very first. It's a SX-70 Model 1, complete with a folding body in brushed chrome and real leather.


(Isn't it cute when it's collapsed? You can tuck it into a pocket or put it in your purse.)

SX-70 cameras are also neat because they use a different type of film than the newer ones which allow the image to be manipulated up to few days after the picture has been taken.



The only downside is that film for Polaroid cameras was stopped being made in 2006. Not only that, but different models of Polaroid cameras use different Polaroid film, and the film for the SX-70 model happens to be one of the more rare types of film.



According to Wikipedia, "Because the emulsion is gelatin-based and the Mylar covering does not allow water vapor to readily pass, the emulsion stays soft for several days, allowing artists to press and manipulate the emulsion to produce effects somewhat like impressionist paintings."



There is still film available on ebay, but one pack of film (containing eight exposures) costs between $20 and $30. Also, the film available all expires this month. I'm sure it would still be usable a few months after, but apparently if it's too much older, they don't work right and can wreck the camera.



I just think I might splurge and buy several packages of film.

3 comments:

  1. That is a sweet camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful? I'm curious to see how photographs come out.

    I'm sure I'll be sharing the results here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you can take pictures of your digital camera with it!

    ReplyDelete